Let me fill you in on our time in Scotland since I have another 4 hours until we catch our night bus to Liverpool and needed somewhere to stay busy and warm. Internet cafes take in the bruised and tired. Actually, the weather in Scotland has been very sunny and hot- there is absolutely nothing to complain about!
So we arrived in Scotland via ferry/bus. Like I mentioned we paid an extra 30 pounds for the trip across even though we asked every question about how we might be able to get a cheaper price. We found this out from an older couple that we met on the train that had paid half for the same trip. This couple was a Godsend. They are the only reason we made it from Glasgow to Edinburgh. We loved them.
First day in Scotland went like this: We jumped off our shuttle from the hostel we were staying at (nice little converted cottage just outside of town right on the Atlantic Ocean) and walked up Calton Hill where we saw some monuments and "the entrance to the fairy world". But these fairies aren't your typical Tinkerbell fairies, these fairies will kick your ass. When we were there we saw none, I must have intimidated them into their hiding holes. Ariana: 1, Fairies: 0.
Next we went on this walking tour. It was free and super awesome! We learnt a lot about Edinburgh and Scottish history. The guides were all young and very energetic. We saw an old prison that was supposed to be the most haunted place in the world, learnt the story behind Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and other stories about other old locals, Braveheart, the Stone of Destiny etc. If you are ever here I suggest you take it, it's the only one the city offers. Then we went back to that prison because just outside was a graveyard where a lot of the Harry Potter characters got their names. Lyndsey and Kylene are Harry Potter fans. Enough said. We walked up and around Edinburgh Castle, had some curry and called it a night.
Night two in Edinburgh was good. We climbed this mountain and took in a view of the entire city, came down and walked around an Eco festival, went to the Royal Museum of Scotland and went back to hostel to get ready for a pub crawl. The museum was cool, we were so tired at that point though that we just kind of wondered and very briefly looked at stuff, that is until Kylene and I found the dress up station and dressed up like noble women while this older lady watched on. The dresses were obviously made for the 11 to 12 year old girl age group and were a Little short. After we took our curtsy pictures we changed, the old woman thanked us for the show, and we bowed low as she walked away. I've always loved bonding with the elderly over 18th century costumes. Next came short naps and a pub crawl. We bought a 2 euro bottle of wine the day before so started the night off each passing the bottle around our room and trying to finish the thing in 7 or 8 minutes before the shuttle left. With a 2 euro bottle of wine it was harder than it sounds. We caught the shuttle and got to the first pub. In all the pubs we went to, in total, we got one free beer, one free shot of whisky, two other shots, discounted 2 euro jagerbombs, and 1 euro mixed drinks. We sang karaoke and finished the night in a club where we danced with our new friends, two Ozzies mainly. I made particular friends with some Scottish girl in a bathroom where we took up the short lived tradition of asking each other if they were doing okay and then hugging. We took the night bus home and in the morning inspected our new bruises. I can probably attribute mine from butt-sliding down 5 or 6 stairs after coming so close to making a whole day without embarrassing myself in some way.
Today though is going to be the main cause for pain in the morning. Most of the day was spent lounging and people-watching in a field but the beginning of it was spent fulfilling one of Lyndsey's fantasies; horseback riding through the rolling hills of Scotland. I sit here now constantly shifting my weight on this hard wooden chair fearing what kind of new, more intensified pain tomorrow will bring.
Just two more hours now until I can stalk all of Paul McCartney's old hangouts. I'm not 100 percent sure how I'm going to react to this. Probably end up doing something ultra creepy. I've warned Lyndsey and Kylene about this little obsession of mine but I'm not convinced they understand the intensity- oh well, they'll soon find out. I'll be blogging about it for sure. If you think these entries are long- just wait until I start talking about anything Beatles.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hahaha, man these are awesome Chickie. Keep them coming! I'll send you an email update tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Daniel.